Thursday, January 5, 2012

Introducting Checkered Patches.

I am happy to announce that I finished off a quilt this week and crossed off one of my 2012 January goals. Number 2 to be exact.

I was spurred on by a birthday invitation to the older sibling's 3rd birthday on 7th January. It didn't take me as long as I thought it would once I set my mind to finish off the quilt. What a great way to start off the year. It has also felt good to be back on my machine. With my recent surgery (November) and recovery time, it felt like I had another Caesarean. I was directed not to do much and rest as much as possible. That's quite funny seeing that I have a 2 year old. Mummies would understand.

So here it is...Checkered Patches.
At the beginning of this quilt, I wasn't sure how the fabrics would work. I happened to ask the expecting Mother what colours she would like and she came back with orange. The look of horror on my face must have said something and it isn't a colour that I would usually pick or have readily in my stash of fabric. I actually love how this quilt has come together with the colours especially the orange. I would use orange again for another baby or child's quilt in the future.
It took one afternoon and a part of an evening to piece together the backing.
I used the leftover strip pieces from the blocks to piece together part of the backing to match with the quilt top. I couldn't resist the cute orange fabric with small white spots to go with it. It just went only with the expecting Mother's request for orange.
The following day I managed to quilt and bind the top. I used my walking foot to straight line diagonally down the white squares so that the finished quilted has a cross hatched pattern.
The coloured squares have just popped with the quilting. I used Signature cotton varigated orange thread for my quilting and loved how it turned out on the solid white fabric. 

Checkered Patches
Finished Quilt Size: 48" X 48"
Fabric:   
  1. Doll dresses fabric range in orange, blue and yellow. 
  2. White solid homespun for the background.  
  3. Robert Kaufman spot fabric in orange for the binding.
  4. RJR Fabric Back to Basics in orange with white spots for the backing.

Pattern: 36 Patch Quilt Along hosted by Crazy Mom Quilts. I didn't actually participate in the Quilt Along but loved the basic design of the pattern.
Quilting: Cross Hatched with straight line quilting
Made for: The birth of Master 'Fox Theo' born 30th November 2011. 
Completed: January 2012


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful Kylie !!!!!!
    I look forward to seeing it in the flesh tomorrow........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checkered Patches is wonderful, Kylie! I happen to love orange and I know it isn't always an easy color to find. You did a great job--the quilting is just right. Love this quilt! A finish is a great way to start the new year--wish I had one! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE. IT.

    you did a phenomonial job on this quilt! i love your colors, the pieced back, the size, everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It's so pretty and very nicely done. I'm sure she loved it as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love to see what people write. Please leave me a comment.