Sunday, February 12, 2012

Four Days with Tractor Derby

Whew!! Four eventful days = one completed quilt top for a little boy who turned 3. The quilt is now known as "Tractor Derby"

When I asked his Mum what he is into, her reply was "he has too many toys already". My light bulb turned on immediately. I don't know why but I was determined to make him a quilt. So down to my local quilting shop I traveled. I purchased some tractor fabric as he is a farmer's son and loves being on the tractor with his Dad.

So for my eventful days. Here they were.
Wednesday - Purchased, ironed and cut out the fabric
Thursday - Pieced the quilt top

Friday - Pieced the backing and quilted the top on my Janome. I quilted in the ditched around all the rectangles and squares.
Saturday - sewed on the binding and hand stitched it down.
Sunday - One happy little boy at his birthday party receiving his new present and many lovely comments from the people at the party.

The quilt itself is super easy. You take a 30cm WOF fabric piece and cut out 5 different shapes with a bit of excess. I used 9 different fabrics to make 9 blocks. The whole quilt is made up of rectangles and a large square. The finished block size is 18.5".

This pattern came from an Australian quilter, Julie Wallace. She showed how you could use any fabric to make this quilt. All you need is so many pieces of 30cm fabrics and you have a easy quilt. It appeared in her book Patchwork with Julie Wallace Volume 2.

I have made this quilt in the past. I made it queen bed sized for my Mother in-law. It was my present to her when she spent a year in China teaching English. It was made in pastels. I forgot to get a photo but I was still binding the quilt on my 4 hour car drive to Melbourne so that I could give it to her.

Tractor Derby
Finished Quilt Size: 55.5" X 55.5"
Fabric:  Tractor and John Deer Fabric in 30 cm pieces. The backing was made with more John Deer fabric and a brown solid (it was in my stash).

Pattern: Quick Decorator Quilts by Julie Wallace in Patchwork with Julie Wallace Volume 2. I made the quilt 3 X 3 squares.
Quilting: Straight line quilting in the ditch around all the shapes.
Made for: Master Jonty Worner for his 3rd Birthday
Completed: February 2012



1 comment:

  1. What a fun gift for a tractor loving little guy! And that was a quick job of it, Kylie!

    ReplyDelete

I love to see what people write. Please leave me a comment.